Join us on Wednesday, November 18 between 6:30pm-9:30pm at Sobeys in Stratford, PE for our sign making party! We will be upstairs in the Community Room located on the right when you enter the store. Sobeys is located on 9 Kinlock Road. If you have any questions please call Tammy at (902) 658-2869 or via email at email@example.com . There is also a Dollar Store located next door if we need to pick up any last minute items!
Here is a list of suggested for sign and where to find the materials!
Sign material suggestions
– Foam board (approx $5 to $6/per 20”x 30” piece), sturdy, won’t bend, therefore easy to read
– Plastic corrugated board – waterproof and light!!
– Bristol board or poster board ($1 at Staples or dollar store):
o Staple Bristol board to thicker cardboard from boxes to give adequate firmness
o Use Bristol board as a body sign (hole punch corners, attach string to wear around neck, or make a sandwich board sign with a front and back.
o Use bright and varied colours
– Stencils or templates: good for spray painting or coloring in with permanent markers. Purchase at craft/ stationary stores, or make by hand from old file folders, cereal boxes or poster board.
– Sticky plastic letters: from craft and stationary stores; Staples has 3” black letters (2 to 4 copies of each letter) for $6.95 –not cheap if you’re making lots of signs, but you can use them as a template on poster board to make your own stencils.
– Free hand: with spray paint or markers.
– Markers: Buy the big fat ones or you’ll be there all day
o Thick large letters and brief messages for easy reading by passing motorists!!
– Paint stir sticks: From any paint or hardware store or try a local lumber store for scraps or doweling
– String or twine for signs to be worn on front, or for hanging banners.
– Wooden dowels for supporting large banners
– Firm materials (e.g. plastic corrugated board) can be held up without handles – probably best choice for roadside visibility
– Canvas: Strong but expensive at $8 / yard. Cheaper thinner canvas-like material is available for $3 – $4/yard. Cotton: Best for paint (nylon/synthetics not as easy to paint on).
– Grommets: Insert in fabric at corners to attach twine/rope for hanging or for attaching to wooden dowels (also available at fabric stores, pkg of 12 for $2);
o Very easy to spray paint the fabric (way cheaper than fabric paint)
o Write message on banner free-hand or use stencils, etc.
o Size of banner depends on location
o Cut vent holes in large banners & signs for manageability in windy locations!!
Where to buy materials
– Foam core boards: Michael’s Craft Store & Staples. $4 – $5.00.
– Paint Stir Sticks: Free from Home Depot (possibly other paint stores) to use as handles.
– Duct Tape: White duct tape at Michael’s to attach handles to boards (also white). Fast and worked great.
– Stencils: Michaels has ABC post-it-note type lettering stencils for $8.50
Special thanks to Moms on the Move for this materials list!